Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program 2017-18
Mentoring provides a unique opportunity for new lawyers to gain professional guidance and practical knowledge from seasoned attorneys. The Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring program is a year-long program run in conjunction with the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism. More than 1,200 lawyers, through more than 80 organizations, have participated in the program since its inception in 2011. Both mentors and mentees earn six Illinois Professional Responsibility CLE credits upon completion.
The application for the 2017-2018 Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program has closed. The application for the 2018-2019 program will open in November 2017.
To qualify as a mentor:
- Attorneys must be admitted to practice in Illinois for at least five years
- Attorneys must be registered as active and in good standing with the Illinois ARDC
- Attorneys must have never been suspended or disbarred in any jurisdiction, and have no formal disciplinary complaint pending.
To qualify as a mentee:
- Attorneys must be a new Illinois lawyer, admitted to practice in Illinois no more than four years
- Attorneys must be registered as active with the Illinois ARDC
- Attorneys must be practicing or intending to practice law in Illinois.
- Attorneys must complete the program before they complete five years of practice.
*Interested, qualified mentees will be matched with qualified, seasoned mentors depending on their preference.
- Mentors and mentees must attend a required one-hour orientation program, at which they will work together to develop a mentoring plan.
- Mentors and mentees must meet in person a minimum of eight times throughout the one year program period.
- DEADLINE EXTENDED: January 27 – Deadline to apply to participate.
- February 1 – Notification of mentor/mentee matches
- February 9 (4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.) – Mentor/mentee orientation (mandatory)*
- February 10 (8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.) - Mentor/mentee orientation (mandatory)*
*Participants in the Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program are required to attend an orientation session.
Questions? Contact the Alumni Association at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.906.5240.